Post 12 paź 2010, o 14:10

Interview with dr Michael Klaper

Wywiad na abolitionist-online - bez daty, albo ja niedowidzę, także nie wiem z kiedy, ale ciekawy, myślę, że warto przeczytać.

fragment:
David Horton: How did you first become interested in veganism?

Micheal Klaper: Early 1980s, a convergence occurred of a number of factors in my life. Primarily it was a spiritual quest; I was a young physician, in my early thirties. I had trained at Cook County Hospital in Chicago, and my nights were spent in the emergency and trauma units, seeing the terrible results of violence: shot gun blasts, knifings, and I saw the terrible devastations that violence brings to people’s lives, and not just physical violence, but emotional, sexual, mental violence and I knew I wanted to reduce violence in all forms in my own life - in my thoughts in my words, in my deeds.

I had always wanted things to be okay, even since I was a little boy, on a farm growing up. I wanted the animals to be okay, everyone to be okay, so in that way, eliminating violence was very key to my own substance. So I set about doing that and one day, over a steak dinner, I was expounding to a friend my desire to lead a less violent life. He said that was all well and good but "while you’re looking around for places in your life to eliminate violence you might start by looking at that piece of meat on your plate and what it took to get there. Realise that it is your desire for that taste that’s actually responsible for the death of that animal. And a little voice over my shoulder said, "You know, he’s right."

They say that "once you look behind the curtain, you can’t pretend you don’t know what’s behind the curtain" and, right then, the curtain got ripped right off.

DH: At that time did everything come tumbling through that it might implicate dairy products and all the rest?

MK: Within weeks I really looked at the entire web of the connection of our exploitation of animals, - not only meat eating, but leather wearing and dairy eating. Now, I had spent my first sixteen summers on my uncle’s dairy farm in Wisconsin, so I was fully aware of what it took to produce milk and meat. It really is amazing how we pull down those emotional blinds to permit ourselves to keep doing what we know is harmful – to ourselves and to other beings.

całość pod tym linkiem