Post 8 lut 2011, o 23:36

New stem cells will reduce the need for animal testing

"New stem cells will reduce the need for animal testing"
4.05.2010, Mark Henderson, Science Editor, timesonline.co.uk

Powerful stem cells made by reprogramming adult tissue could reduce the need for animal testing of new drugs, according to a scientific pioneer of the technology.

Jamie Thomson, of the University of Wisconsin, told The Times that “in-vitro trials” based on so-called induced pluripotent stem (IPS) cells would refine pharmaceutical development so that fewer animal experiments would be required.

The cells were already being used as a source of human tissue for testing candidate drugs for safety and effectiveness, he said. As a result, fewer unworkable drugs would advance to animal studies, and some animal tests may become unnecessary.

“If what we are doing is successful it will dramatically reduce animal testing, and maybe towards the end of our lifespan actually eliminate it for some things,” Professor Thomson said. “I think we will have much better models for these things.”

Oczywiście wiadomość o redukcji czy eliminacji eksperymentów na zwierzętach w niektórych przypadkach może oznaczać mniejszą ilość zwierząt ranionych i zabijanych, a więc dobra wiadomość dla tych, które unikną eksperymentów. Natomiast trzeba nam rodzenia się świadomości, która mówi, że nie powinniśmy w imię naszego zdrowia dręczyć i zabijać innych. Ale trudno przebijać się z takim przesłaniem, podczas gdy wciąż mocno ugruntowane jest przekonanie, że wolno zadawać cierpienie i zabijać, aby kontynuować wygodny styl życia, do którego jesteśmy przywiązani.