Post 16 cze 2009, o 13:13

Zielone mięso i mleko [ENG]+komentarz

język angielski

W New York Times pojawił się niedawno artykuł pt. "Greening the Herds: A New Diet to Cap Gas" o tym jak przemysł mleczno-mięsny, mimo ewidentnych danych świadczących o jego wiodącej roli w produkcji gazów cieplarnianych związanych z ludzką działalnością, usiłuje znaleźć sposób, by się "zazielenić". Poniżej treść artykułu, z moimi komentarzami.

Greening the Herds: A New Diet to Cap Gas
By LESLIE KAUFMAN
June 5, 2009

HIGHGATE, Vt. — Chewing her cud on a recent sunny morning, Libby, a 1,400-pound Holstein, paused to do her part in the battle against global warming, emitting a fragrant burp.
Libby, age 6, and the 74 other dairy cows on Guy Choiniere’s farm here are at the heart of an experiment to determine whether a change in diet will help them belch less methane, a potent heat-trapping gas that has been linked to climate change.
Since January, cows at 15 farms across Vermont have had their grain feed adjusted to include more plants like alfalfa and flaxseed — substances that, unlike corn or soy, mimic the spring grasses that the animals evolved long ago to eat.
As of the last reading in mid-May, the methane output of Mr. Choiniere’s herd had dropped 18 percent. Meanwhile, milk production has held its own.

Jak widać na powyższym przykładzie, nie wszyscy myślą o ograniczeniu lub odrzuceniu mięsa i mleka krowiego na wieść o tym, że krowy wydalają znaczne ilości metanu, którego potencjał cieplarniany jest około 20 razy większy, niż potencjał dwutlenku węgla. Raport FAO "Livestock's Long Shadow stwierdza, że produkcja odzwierzęca, w której znaczącą rolę odgrywają właśnie krowy, produkuje więcej gazów cieplarnianych, niż cały transport lądowy, morski i powietrzny razem wzięte. Jednak zamiast reagować w sposób najprostszy z możliwych (abstrahuję teraz od praw zwierząt), czyli ograniczyć lub dążyć do wyeliminowania z diety produktów tak ściśle powiązanych z globalnym ociepleniem, ludzie kombinują jak mogą, by usprawiedliwić kontynuację konsumpcji mięsa i mleka krowiego poprzez niewielkie zmniejszenie bardzo szkodliwego wpływu tej produkcji na środowisko, co kojarzyć się może z używaniem próbki perfum do zlikwidowania smrodu wielkiej kupy zrobionej na środku małego pokoju. Oczywiście na eliminowanie krzywdzenia zwierząt w tym równaniu nie ma miejsca.

The program was initiated by Stonyfield Farm, the yogurt manufacturer, at the Vermont farms that supply it with organic milk. Mr. Choiniere, a third-generation dairy herder who went organic in 2003, said he had sensed that the outcome would be good even before he got the results.

Zaraz, zaraz. Chyba pominęłam ważny element równania "produkcja zwierzęca, konsument". Dlaczego Stonyfield Farm zainicjował program, w którym krowy "mleczne" mają wydalać mniejsze ilości metanu? Czy Stonefield uważa, że taka produkcja będzie przyjazna dla środowiska? Rzeczywistość jest chyba bardziej prozaiczna. Stonyfield nie jest organizacją ekologiczną, lecz producentem jogurtów! Czy producent nie zrobi co w jego mocy, by produkt pozostał na rynku?

“They are healthier,” he said of his cows. “Their coats are shinier, and the breath is sweet.”
Sweetening cow breath is a matter of some urgency, climate scientists say. Cows have digestive bacteria in their stomachs that cause them to belch methane, the second-most-significant heat-trapping emission associated with global warming after carbon dioxide. Although it is far less common in the atmosphere than carbon dioxide, it has 20 times the heat-trapping ability.
Frank Mitloehner, a University of California, Davis, professor who places cows in air-tight tent enclosures and measures what he calls their “eruptions,” says the average cow expels — through burps mostly, but some flatulence — 200 to 400 pounds of methane a year.
More broadly, with worldwide production of milk and beef expected to double in the next 30 years, the United Nations has called livestock one of the most serious near-term threats to the global climate. In a 2006 report that looked at the environmental impact of cows worldwide, including forest-clearing activity to create pasture land, it estimated that cows might be more dangerous to Earth’s atmosphere than trucks and cars combined.

Raport FAO "Livestock's Long Shadow nie pozostawia wątpliwości co to faktu, że hodowla zwierząt, głównie krów (mięso, mleko i jaja – patrz pieczeń wołowa, cielęcina, jogurty, sery, lody śmietankowe, śmietanka do zupy, mleczko do kawy, jajecznica itp.) jest dla środowiska gorsza, niż globalny transport. Ślepy i głuchy na te informacje przemysł mleczny rozwija się całą parą jakby nigdy nic. Dotowany przez państwowe budżety, promuje mleko gdzie tylko może, przyzwyczajając do niego kolejne pokolenia od jak najmłodszego wieku mimo tego, że walory mleka krowiego dla zdrowia człowieka są coraz częściej i mocniej podważane (np. alergie, cholesterol, cukrzyca). Wbrew zdrowemu rozsądkowi, zamiast ograniczać swój zasięg, wymyśla dodatkowo programy, takie jak "cow of the future" prowadzony przez Dairy Management Inc., by zmniejszyć nieco wydalanie metanu u krów, co przy obecnej ocenie szkodliwości tego przemysłu może być kroplą w morzu ekologicznych potrzeb tym bardziej, że zachęcony pozorną ekologicznością mleka, konsument chętniej po nie sięgnie i sprzedaż mleka najpewniej jeszcze bardziej wzrośnie.
Wreszcie, przemysł mleczny trwa w bezwzględnej obojętności na olbrzymie cierpienie i śmierć miliardów zwierząt rocznie.

In the United States, where average milk production per cow has more than quadrupled since the 1950s, fewer cows are needed per gallon of milk, so the total emissions of heat-trapping gas for the American dairy industry are relatively low per gallon compared with those in less industrialized countries.

Jak widać, wymuszenie większej wydajności mlecznej u krów (czterokrotny wzrost w ciągu niecałych 60 lat!), które jest nierozłącznie związane z przewlekłymi i bolesnymi chorobami u tych zwierząt (przerost wymienia, kulawizna), może równocześnie pod pewnym względem być mniej niekorzystne dla środowiska, niż hodowla krów o mniej wyśrubowanej mleczności.

Dairy Management Inc., the promotion and research arm of the American dairy industry, says it accounts for just 2 percent of the country’s emissions of heat-trapping gases, most of it from the cows’ methane.
Still, Erin Fitzgerald, director of social and environmental consulting for Dairy Management, says the industry wants to avert the possibility that customers will equate dairies with, say, coal plants. It has started a “cow of the future” program, looking for ways to reduce total industry emissions by 25 percent by the end of the next decade.
William R. Wailes, the head of the department of animal science at Colorado State University who is working on the cow of the future, says scientists are looking at everything from genetics — cows that naturally belch less — to adjusting the bacteria in the cow’s stomach.
For the short run, Professor Wailes said, changes in feed have been the most promising.
Stonyfield Farm, which started as a money-raising arm for a nonprofit organic dairy school and still has a progressive bent, has been working on the problem longer than most.
Nancy Hirshberg, Stonyfield’s vice president for natural resources, commissioned a full assessment of her company’s impact on climate change in 1999 that extended to emissions by some of its suppliers.
“I was shocked when I got the report,” Ms. Hirshberg said, “because it said our No. 1 impact is milk production. Not burning fossil fuels for transportation or packaging, but milk production. We were floored.”
From that moment on, Ms. Hirshberg began looking for a way to have the cows emit less methane.

No tak, będąc na stanowisku kierowniczym w firmie produkującej jogurty, na pytanie "Co zrobić, jeśli głównym czynnikiem wpływającym niekorzystnie na zmianę klimatu w mojej firmie jest produkcja mleka?" Pani Hirshberg nie mogła odpowiedzieć inaczej. I kto przyszedł jej z pomocą? Groupe Danone.

A potential solution was offered by Groupe Danone, the French makers of Dannon yogurt and Evian bottled water, which bought a majority stake in Stonyfield Farm in 2003. Scientists working with Groupe Danone had been studying why their cows were healthier and produced more milk in the spring. The answer, the scientists determined, was that spring grasses are high in Omega-3 fatty acids, which may help the cow’s digestive tract operate smoothly.
Corn and soy, the feed that, thanks to postwar government aid, became dominant in the dairy industry, has a completely different type of fatty acid structure.
When the scientists began putting high concentrations of Omega-3 back into the cows’ food year-round, the animals were more robust, their digestive tract functioned better and they produced less methane.
The new feed is used at 600 farms in France, said Julia Laurain, a representative of Valorex SAS, a French company that makes the feed additives and that is working with Stonyfield Farm to bring the program to the United States.
A reason farmers like corn and soy is that those crops are a plentiful, cheap source of energy and protein — which may lead some to resist replacing them. But Ms. Laurain said flax cost less than soy, although grain prices can fluctuate. The flax used in the new feed is grown in Canada, is often heated to release the oil in its seed and yield the maximum benefit for the cow. For now, however, that process is expensive because there is no plant for it in the United States, and the flax is shipped to Europe for heating.
If the pilot program was expanded, she said, a heating facility would be built in the United States, and processing costs could be slashed.
Ms. Laurain maintains that even if the feed costs more, it yields cost savings because the production of milk jumps about 10 percent and animals will be healthier, live longer and produce milk for more years.
The methane-reduction results have been far more significant in France than in the Vermont pilot — about 30 percent — because the feed is distributed there not just to organic farms, where the animals already eat grass for at least half the year, but also to big industrial farms.
Farms in the Vermont program, like Mr. Choiniere’s, are also relying on Valorex’s method for measuring methane reduction, which involves analyzing fatty acids in the cows’ milk. Professor Wailes, of Colorado State, said he found that method for testing for reduced methane emissions promising. “I believe it is very possible,” he said.
Mr. Choiniere said that regardless of how the tests turned out, he planned to stick with the new feeding system.
“They are healthier and happier,” he said of his cows, “and that’s what I really care about.”

Farmer Choiniere, może poklepać krowę po grzbiecie i powiedzieć dziennikarzowi, jak bardzo zależy mu na zwierzętach, nie zmieni to jednak paru faktów, o których trzeba przy okazji tych prawie sielskich obrazków powiedzieć. Żeby krowa rozpoczęła laktację, musi urodzić cielaka. Żeby można ją było wydoić z całego mleka i przeznaczyć je na sprzedaż, trzeba ją rozdzielić z cielęciem, dla którego właśnie natura to mleko przeznaczyła. Odebranie krowie co dopiero urodzonego cielęcia jest szokiem i stresem dla obydwojga. Instynkt macierzyński występuje nie tylko u ludzi, psów i kotów. Jest również silny u krów, zaś najwłaściwszym miejscem dla cielęcia jest bycie u boku własnej matki i ssanie jej mleka. No cóż, na to krowie "mlecznej" rolnik nie pozwoli. Statystycznie ok. 50% cieląt jest rodzaju męskiego. Te cielęta zostają odtransportowane do ubojni i tam zarżnięte. Farmer chce, by krowa prawie nieustannie produkowała mleko, dlatego rok rocznie doprowadza do sztucznej najczęściej inseminacji krowy. Rok w rok krowa rodzi młode, przeżywa szok rozstania ze swoim potomstwem, cierpi na dolegliwości i choroby związane z wyśrubowaną wydajnością, a po paru latach, gdy jej płodność lub wydajność spada, zostaje odtransportowana tam, gdzie zabito już wcześniej jej męskie potomstwo. Oto cena mleka.

Niewykluczone, że naukowcy opłacani przez koncerny mleczne znacznie obniżą wydalanie metanu przez krowy. Zwierzęta pozostaną jednak zwierzętami (a nie automatami do produkcji mleka i mięsa – jakby chcieli niektórzy), a ich cierpienie i śmierć będą niemniej autentyczne, niż dziś. Oto cena mięsa i mleka, której nie da się obniżyć. Cena steku, hamburgera, lodów, sera goudy, kotletów cielęcych, serów pleśniowych, jogurtów Danone, mleczka do kawy, kefirów, twarożków i masła. Cena rozmienienia miliardów biografii na biologiczne ochłapy krojone na talerzu nożem i widelcem, albo wybierane łyżeczką z kubeczka.