Post 13 kwi 2010, o 11:53

Szkoła mięsa

Poprzez wpis na Twitterze Francione trafiłem na artykuł "Brooklyn Butcher Class Lets You Meet Your Meat", fragmenty i zdjęcia:

(...) the proper utensil for tenderizing a country ham is a baseball bat. That's one of the new techniques we learned attending a hands-on butchering class at The Meat Hook in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, led by co-owner Tom Mylan. One of Mylan's goals is to help students avoid painful rookie mistakes.

"I was constantly injuring myself, rather severely," says the 33-year-old Mylan of his early days in the trade. "I have a million little scars all over my fingers where I've cut myself down to the bone." (...)

Mylan, along with a handful of others around the country, view butchering as an important part of the larger Greenmarket movement, which encourages people to take an active role in knowing where their food comes from and how it was prepared. (...) As students crowd in around the pig, whose head Mylan dramatically plops down next to it, he begins by explaining the subject's life up until this point, which included a humanely-raised farm existence. But this isn't "Babe" and Mylan doesn't spare the gory details, like the stun-gun zap and slit throat which brought this little piggy to market.

Next up, Mylan walks us through the various cuts so that everyone knows which part produces the tenderloin and which brings the bacon. He also points out muscle groups that do the most work -- legs, shoulders, face -- and tend to produce the most succulent-tasting meat, adding that "young animals have better-tasting brains."

Całość na tej stronie. Mamy tu cały katalog rzeczy, które zniesmaczają. Jest żartobliwy opis niecodziennych technik "obróbki mięsa", jest postać "fajowego szefa", który zna się na mięsnej robocie, jest wreszcie wtręt, jak to wszystko wpisuje się pięknie w eko-zrównoważoną-rzeź-dla-świadomych-konsumentów. Na stronie firmy tekst:

Due to the fact that we only deal with trusted farmers and sustainably raised animals our limit will be 10 orders per week.

Zdjęcia wiele mówią o luzackiej atmosferze, w jakiej spoko-szef uczy rozbioru mięs, cięcia, skrawania, przeróbki, aż wreszcie kawałki staną się tak lubianymi, pożądanymi i rozpoznawalnymi delikatesami. Kupa śmiechu.

Obrazek

Obrazek

Obrazek

Obrazek