Post 24 wrz 2009, o 21:33

Prawdy i mity o weganizmie (według Virginii Messina)

Na początku kto to jest właściwie Virginia Messina. Otóż Virginia Messina to nie byle kto: doświadczona dietetyczka, zajmująca się weg*anizmem od 15 lat, jedna z autorek dokumentu, na który często się powołujemy:"Stanowiska Amerykańskiego Stowarzyszenia Dietetycznego i Dietetyków Kanady: diety wegetariańskie". Przy okazji: współtworzyła również "A new food guide For North American Vegetarians".

Przyznam, że podczytuję sobie od czasu do czasu jej kolumnę na examiner.com - Seattle Vegan Examiner. Publikuje tam krótkie teksty dotyczące weganizmu i okolic. Jednym z nich jest "Myths and truths about vegan diet". Nie mam czasu tłumaczyć, więc wrzucam go w wersji oryginalnej, bo wydaje mi się bardzo celny.

Myths and truths about vegan diet

Seattle Vegan Examiner
Virginia Messina, MPH, RD

Nobody ever seems to be especially neutral on the topic of vegan health. Most are convinced that a vegan diet is either completely dangerous or a magic bullet cure-all. The myths about vegan eating spring from both sides of the argument and are sometimes completely contradictory. Here are a few of the most common ones.

Myth: Vegans are at risk for iron deficiency.

Truth: Actually, vegans are less likely to get iron deficiency than lacto-ovo vegetarians. Vegans consume more iron and tend to replace milk (which contains no iron and also inhibits iron absorption) with iron-rich foods. Iron from plant foods is absorbed at a lower rate than from meat, but iron deficiency anemia is no more common among vegans than any other group.

Myth: Vegan diets are okay for adults, but not for children.

Truth: Studies show that vegan kids sometimes fall short on a few nutrients compared to omnivore children, but that they have better intakes of other nutrients. All types of diets for children require careful planning. Vegan diets can provide adequate nutrition for children at all stages.

Myth: Dairy foods cause osteoporosis because they are high in protein, so vegans—who don’t drink milk—have lower calcium needs than omnivores.

Truth: Two myths in one! Unfortunately, there isn’t a shred of evidence that dairy foods cause osteoporosis. And the idea that vegans need less calcium than omnivores because of differing protein intakes is debatable. The research on this one is all over the place, with lots of conflicting studies. For now, it’s wise and responsible for vegans to meet standard recommendations for calcium.

Te dwa mity rzeczywiście są już klasyką pośród wegan. Niektórzy weganie, zapewne mając dobre intencje, robią z krowiego mleka dietetycznego diabła wcielonego i przypisują mu wszystkie możliwe wady, żeby tylko to mleko ludziom obrzydzić. Tymczasem podstawową wadą krowiego mleka jest to, że jego pozyskiwanie kończy się rzeźnią dla ogromnej ilości zwierząt - krów i cieląt (w przypadku krów rzeźnię poprzedza często eksploatacja).

Myth: Since vegans don’t drink milk, they can’t get enough calcium without supplements.

Truth: There are a number of plant foods that are good sources of well-absorbed calcium. While vegans can get adequate calcium from natural sources, most don’t meet calcium needs without using fortified foods or supplements. And guess what? Neither do most omnivores.

Tu przypominam o wysokowapniowej wodzie mineralnej, jako tanim, wydajnym i smacznym źródle wapnia. Dokładnie to opisałem w wątku "Woda - zapomniane źródło wapnia". Przyznam, że ja korzystam ze wzbogaconego w wapń produktu, jakim są napoje sojowe. Mają tyle wapnia, co mleko krowie i jest ono nieźle przyswajalne.

Myth: Organically-grown plants provide vitamin B12.

Truth: There is no evidence that plants grown in organic soil can provide adequate B12 for vegans. Vegans need to include fortified foods or B12 supplements in their diet. There is absolutely no debate among this among responsible vegan nutritionists.

Wydaje mi się, że to trzeba wciąż powtarzać. Powstrzymanie się od mycia warzyw niczego nie załatwi, podobnie jak poleganie na organicznych roślinach.

Myth: Vegans need to consume combinations of plant foods to meet protein needs.

Truth: This myth is definitely a golden oldie. It’s been around since at least the early 1970s—and even though it was refuted in the 1990s, most of the world hasn’t caught up. Sadly, this includes many health professionals and journalists. Here is what the American Dietetic Association along with all vegan nutrition experts say: When vegans get adequate calories and eat a variety of whole foods throughout the day, they get plenty of protein. Protein is not an issue for vegans.

Myth: Vegan diets cause eating disorders in teen girls.

Truth: Some teen girls who already have eating disorders choose vegan or vegetarian diet as a way to control intake. A vegan diet will not cause an eating disorder and is not a sign of an eating disorder.

Myth: Vegan diets are fattening because they are so high in carbohydrates.

Truth: Some vegans are fat and some are skinny. As a group, though, vegans tend to be slimmer than meat eaters. Whole plant foods are high in good carbs and rich in fiber and are good choices for weight control.

Myth: You will automatically lose weight on a vegan diet because it’s so low in fat.

Truth: Most vegan diets are not low in fat. Eating a low fat diet does not guarantee weight loss and eating a vegan diet does not guarantee weight loss. A vegan diet is a healthful way to lose weight, but you still have to use up more calories than you consume.

Myth: Our ancestors ate meat, so vegan diets aren’t natural.

Truth: Our ancestors gnawed raw meat off the bones of animals and scavenged for wild greens. Today’s omnivore diet is completely “unnatural,” because it includes foods like grains and dairy that played no part in the meals of early humans. Vegan diets support health and eliminate animal cruelty. That sounds better than “natural!”

To jest ważne: dieta wegańska służy zdrowiu i eliminuje (może: minimalizuje) okrucieństwo wobec zwierząt - to brzmi wystarczająco dobrze i nie trzeba wojować o powszechne uznanie, że ta dieta jest naturalna. Słowo "naturalne" jest dyskusyjne i nie jest tak istotne.